- The definition of mien is your manner, how your conduct yourself and your outlook.
The way you act and look at the world are an example of your mien.
- a way of carrying and conducting oneself; manner
- a way of looking; appearance
Origin of mienaphetic for demean, but altered by associated, association with French mine, look, air ; from Breton min, muzzle, beak
- Bearing or manner, especially as it reveals an inner state of mind: a colonel with an imperious mien.
- An appearance or aspect. “Eyes fixed in a piercing squint &ellipsis; his was a mien that made an easy target for political cartoonists” (Nick Kotz).
Origin of mienAlteration (influenced by French mine, appearance) of Middle English demeine, demeanor, from Old French, from demener, to behave; see demean1.
A Hmong-Mien language spoken by many subgroups of the Yao of China.
(countable and uncountable, plural miens)