- the position or posture assumed by the body in connection with an action, feeling, mood, etc.: to kneel in an attitude of prayer
- a manner of acting, feeling, or thinking that shows one's disposition, opinion, etc.: a friendly attitude
- one's disposition, opinion, mental set, etc.
- Aeron. the position of an aircraft or spacecraft in relation to a given line or plane, as the horizon
- Ballet a position in which one leg is raised with the knee bent and the arms are extended
- a quarrelsome or sullen disposition or temperament
- a posture or pose of being cocky, haughty, etc.
Origin of attitudeFrench from Italian attitudine, attitude, aptness from Late Latin aptitudo (gen. aptitudinis) from Classical Latin aptus, apt
strike an attitude