- Orientation is someone knowing where they are, the direction someone is facing or the way someone tends to go.
- An example of orientation is a person attending a training session for new employees.
- An example of orientation is a person facing west.
- An example of orientation is a man preferring to date men.
- an orienting or being oriented
- position with relation to the points of the compass
- the planning of church architecture so that the altar is in the east end
- familiarization with and adaptation to a situation or environment; specif.,
- Psychol. awareness of one's environment as to time, space, objects, and persons
- a period or process of introduction and adjustment
- a tendency to respond or act in a certain way with respect to a particular person, situation, phenomenon, etc.: one's sexual orientation
- Biol. the position or change of position of an organism or part under a stimulus such as gravity or light
- the position and arrangement of atoms or radicals in a molecule
- the ordering of molecules, crystals, etc. so that the axes point in a particular direction
- The act of orienting or the state of being oriented.
- Location or position relative to the points of the compass.
- The construction of a church so that its longitudinal axis has an east-west direction with the main altar usually at the eastern end.
- The direction followed in the course of a trend, movement, or development.
- A tendency of thought; a general inclination: a Marxist orientation.
- Sexual orientation.
- a. An adjustment or adaptation to a new environment, situation, custom, or set of ideas.b. Introductory instruction concerning a new situation: orientation for incoming students.
- Psychology Awareness of the objective world in relation to one's self.
(countable and uncountable, plural orientations)
- (uncountable) The act of orienting or the state of being oriented.
- (uncountable) A position relative to compass bearings
- (uncountable) The construction of a Christian church to have its aisle in an east-west direction with the altar at the east end
- (countable) An inclination, tendency or direction
- (countable) The ability to orient
- (countable) An adjustment to a new environment
- (countable) An introduction to a (new) environment
- (typography, countable) The direction of print across the page; landscape or portrait
- (mathematics, countable) The choice of which ordered bases are "positively" oriented and which are "negatively" oriented on a real vector space