- Phiz is a slang term for the emotion someone is showing on their face.
An example of phiz is a smile.
Slang a face or facial expression
Origin of phizcontr. ; from physiognomy
- 1831 June, “The Lord Advocate on Reform”, Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, volume 29, number 181, page 980:
- […] and whatever the feelings which now agitate our secret hearts, — you see we are resolved at least to put on a cheerful phiz, and not to die either of the dumps or the mumps, or any other of the dismals.
- 1885, Richard F. Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, volume 8:
- "As for thee, thou givest me good-morrow with thy one eye and thy lameness and thy ill-omened phiz and I become poor and bankrupt and hungry!"
Short for physiognomy.