Stricture is a restriction or sharp criticism.noun
An example of stricture is a harsh condemnation of a student's paper.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- sharp adverse criticism; censure
- a limiting or restricting condition; restriction
- Obsolete strictness
- Med. an abnormal narrowing of a passage in the body; stenosis
Origin: ME strictture < L strictura < strictus: see strict
- strictured adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A restraint, limit, or restriction.
- An adverse remark or criticism; censure.
- Pathology An abnormal narrowing of a duct or passage.
Origin: Middle English, an abnormal narrowing of a bodily part, from Late Latin strictūra, contraction, from Latin strictus, past participle of stringere, to draw tight; see strict.
stricture - Medical Definition