- Stricture is a restriction or sharp criticism.
An example of stricture is a harsh condemnation of a student's paper.
stricture definition by Webster's New World
- sharp adverse criticism; censure
- a limiting or restricting condition; restriction
- Obsolete strictness
- Med. an abnormal narrowing of a passage in the body; stenosis
Origin: Middle English strictture ; from Classical Latin strictura ; from strictus: see strict
- strictured adjective
stricture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A restraint, limit, or restriction.
- An adverse remark or criticism; censure.
- Pathology An abnormal narrowing of a duct or passage.
Origin: Middle English, an abnormal narrowing of a bodily part, from Late Latin strictūra, contraction, from Latin strictus, past participle of stringere, to draw tight; see strict.
stricture - Medical Definition