- Embarrassment is defined as a feeling of humiliation or shame, or a person or thing causing you to feel ashamed, or an abundance.
- When you trip and a room full of people all start to laugh, this is an example of when you feel embarrassment.
- When your child behaves horribly, refusing to listen in front of everyone, this is an example of when your child is an embarrassment.
- When you have a large family that loves you, this is an example of an embarrassment of family love.
This woman seems to have suffered an embarrassment.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- The act or an instance of embarrassing.
- The state of being embarrassed.
- A source or cause of being embarrassed.
- An overabundance: an embarrassment of choices at a buffet dinner; an embarrassment of riches.
Variant of embarrass
- to cause to feel self-conscious, confused, and ill at ease; disconcert; fluster
- to cause difficulties to; hinder; impede
- to cause to be in debt; cause financial difficulties to
- to make more difficult; complicate
Origin: French embarrasser, literally , to encumber, obstruct ; from Spanish embarazar ; from Italian imbarrazzare ; from imbarrare, to bar, impede ; from in- (L in-) plush Midieval Latin barra, bar
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.