- The definition of further is something that is a longer distance away or something that happens that is in addition to what has already occurred.
- An example of further is a store that is 10 miles from your house, when compared to a store that is only five miles away.
- An example of further is when additional studies on smoking are done after some have already been finished.
further definition by Webster's New World
- additional; more
- more distant or remote; farther
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English furthor (akin to German vorder) ; from base of fore, fore plush comparative suffix ; from Indo-European an unverified form -tero- (as in after, other)
- to a greater degree or extent
- in addition; moreover
- at or to a greater distance or more remote point in space or time; farther
Origin: ME < OE further, orig. a neut. acc. of the adj.
Origin: ME furthren < OE fyrthrian < furthra, furthor
- furtherer noun
further definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective A comparative of far.
- More distant in degree, time, or space: a result that was further from our expectations than last time; the further lamppost.
- Additional: a further example; a further delay.
- To a greater extent; more: considered further the consequences of her actions.
- In addition; furthermore: He stated further that he would not cooperate with the committee.
- At or to a more distant or advanced point: went only three miles further; reading five pages further tonight. See Usage Note at farther.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English furthra, from furthor, farther. Adv., from Middle English, from Old English furthor; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- furˈther·er noun
further - Computer Definition
- Additional; to a greater extent.
- More distant in place or time, especially where there is no notion of physical distance. I don't know about you, but I was always taught to use farther when referring to physical distances, and to use further otherwise. Anyway, it drives me nuts when people, especially weathermen, point to the map and talk about further north or further east. It sounds affected, like they are trying to impress us ignorant viewers at home. See also farther and utilize.