- a board that forms or supports the back of something
- ⌂ Basketball a flat, rigid piece of material, often fiberglass and usually rectangular, to which the basket is attached
- a. A board forming or placed at the back of something: mounted the photos on a backboard.b. A board used to support an injured person's back, especially during transport.
- Basketball The elevated vertical board or surface from which the basket projects.
- (basketball) The flat vertical surface to which the basket is attached.
- (tennis) A flat vertical wall with the image of a tennis net drawn or painted on it. Designed to practice hitting against such that the ball bounces back.
- (medicine, first aid) A spine board.