- a container made of interwoven cane, rushes, strips of wood, etc. and often having a handle or handles
- the amount that a basket will hold
- anything like a basket in shape or use
- the structure hung from a balloon to carry personnel and equipment
- ☆ Basketball
- the goal, a round, open net hanging from a metal ring attached to a raised backboard
- field goal
- a selected group of goods, currencies, etc. whose value is used as an index or standard
- a large group of stocks in the same proportions as those of a stock index: used in program trading
ME < ?
See basket in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. A container made of interwoven material, such as rushes or twigs.
b. The amount that a basket can hold.
- An item resembling such a container in shape or function.
- A usually open gondola suspended from a hot-air balloon.
- A group of related things, such as financial securities or products in a specific market.
a. Either of the two goals normally elevated ten feet above the floor, consisting of a metal hoop from which an open-bottomed circular net is suspended.
b. A field goal.
- Sports A circular structure at the base of a ski pole, used to prevent the pole from sinking too deeply into the snow.
Origin: Middle English
Origin: , from Anglo-Norman
Origin: , from Vulgar Latin *baskauta
Origin: , of Celtic origin
Learn more about basket