- Basketball the illegal touching of a shot after it has begun its downward flight toward the basket or the touching of a free throw at any point in its course
- the act of guarding a goal, as a goalkeeper does
- Sports The act of protecting a goal, as in hockey and other such sports.
- Basketball An illegal play in which a player touches the ball when it is on a downward path to the basket or when it is on, above, or within the area over the opening of the rim of the basket.
- (basketball) A violation which occurs when a player interferes with the movement of the ball toward the basket
- Present participle of goaltend.