- The definition of basketball is a game played by two 5-player teams, the object of which is to get the ball through the opposing player's hoop the most times to score the most points, or a large ball that is used in the game.
- An example of basketball is the game played by Michael Jordan.
- An example of a basketball is the orange and black ball that is used during the game of the same name.
People playing basketball.
basketball definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a game played by two opposing teams of usually five players on a rectangular, often wooden, court with a raised basket at each end: points are scored by tossing a ball through the basket at the opponent's end
- the large, round, inflated ball used in this game
Origin: invented and amp; named (1891) by James A. Naismith (1861-1939) at Y.M.C.A. College, Springfield, Mass.
basketball definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A game played between two teams of five players each, the object being to throw a ball through an elevated basket on the opponent's side of a rectangular court. Players may move the ball by dribbling or passing with the hands.
- The inflated, spherical ball used in this game.