- The definition of basketball is a game played by two 5-player teams, the object of which is to get the ball through the opposing player's hoop the most times to score the most points, or a large ball that is used in the game.
- An example of basketball is the game played by Michael Jordan.
- An example of a basketball is the orange and black ball that is used during the game of the same name.
People playing basketball.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a game played by two opposing teams of usually five players on a rectangular, often wooden, court with a raised basket at each end: points are scored by tossing a ball through the basket at the opponent's end
- the large, round, inflated ball used in this game
Origin: invented and amp; named (1891) by James A. Naismith (1861-1939) at Y.M.C.A. College, Springfield, Mass.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A game played between two teams of five players each, the object being to throw a ball through an elevated basket on the opponent's side of a rectangular court. Players may move the ball by dribbling or passing with the hands.
- The inflated, spherical ball used in this game.