- The definition of ulterior refers to something intentionally hidden, not revealed or below the surface.
If you pretend to be nice to someone only to get close to his famous friends, this is an example of when you have an ulterior motive.
- lying beyond or on the farther side
- later, subsequent, or future
- further; more remote; esp., beyond what is expressed, implied, or evident; undisclosed: an ulterior motive
Origin of ulteriorClassical Latin comparative of an unverified form ulter, beyond, farther (see ultra-)
- Lying beyond what is evident, revealed, or avowed, especially being concealed intentionally so as to deceive: an ulterior motive.
- Lying beyond or outside the area of immediate interest.
- Occurring later; subsequent.
Origin of ulteriorLatin, farther, comparative of *ulter, on the other side; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.
- (intentionally concealed, to deceive): ostensible
From Latin ulterior, comparative of ulter (“that is beyond”).