- An example of subterranean is a cave that is underneath the earth.
- An example of subterranean is a secret behind-the-scenes group that is in control of the book publishing industry.
The definition of subterranean is something that is under the earth's surface, or that is secret or concealed.
- lying beneath the earth's surface; underground
- secret; hidden
Origin of subterraneanClassical Latin subterraneus ; from sub- (see sub-) + terra, earth: see terrain
one who lives underground
- Situated or operating beneath the earth's surface; underground.
- Hidden; secret: subterranean motives for murder.
Origin of subterraneanLatin subterraneus : sub-, sub- + terra, earth; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more subterranean, superlative most subterranean)
- below ground, under the earth, underground