- of, or occurring in, the region below the surface of the earth
- Bot. growing or maturing underground, as peanuts or truffles: said esp. of cotyledons
- Zool. burrowing, living, or developing beneath the ground, as certain insect larvae
Origin of hypogeal; from Late Latin hypogeus, underground (; from Classical Greek hypogaios ; from hypo-, under + g?, earth) + -al
also hy·po·ge·an or hy·po·ge·ous
- Living or occurring under the earth's surface.
- Botany Of or relating to seed germination in which the cotyledons remain below the surface of the ground.
Origin of hypogealFrom Latin hypog&emacron;us, from Greek hupogeios : hupo-, hypo- + g&emacron;, earth.
(comparative more hypogeal, superlative most hypogeal)
- existing or growing underground
hypo- + -geal