- The definition of posterior is later, following, after or at the rear.
An example of something posterior is the dorsal fin on a shark; a posterior fin.
- Posterior is defined as the buttocks.
An example of a posterior is a person's rear.
- later; following after; subsequent
- coming after in order; succeeding
- at or toward the rear; behind; specif., dorsal
- Bot. on the side next to the main stem
Origin of posteriorClassical Latin comparative of posterus, following ; from post, after: see post-
- Located behind a part or toward the rear of a structure.
- Relating to the caudal end of the body in quadrupeds or the back of the body in humans and other primates.
- Botany Next to or facing the main stem or axis.
- Coming after in order; following.
- Following in time; subsequent.
Origin of posteriorLatin, comparative of posterus, coming after, from post, afterward; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more posterior, superlative most posteri)
- See post-
- (euphemistic) The buttocks.
From Latin posterior, comparative of posterus (“coming after”).