anterior[an tir′ē ər]
- Anterior is defined as something that is put in front of something.
An example of a room that is in the anterior of the house is the foyer.
- The definition of anterior is something that happened before.
An example of an historical event that is anterior to now is World War I.
- at or toward the front; forward; specif., ventral
- coming before in time, order, or logic; previous; earlier
- Bot. on the side away from the main stem
Origin of anteriorClassical Latin comparative of ante, before
- Placed before or in front.
- Occurring before in time; earlier.
- Anatomy a. Located near or toward the head in lower animals.b. Located on or near the front of the body in higher animals.c. Located on or near the front of an organ or on the ventral surface of the body in humans.
- Botany In front of and facing away from the axis or stem.
Origin of anteriorLatin, comparative of ante, before; see ant- in Indo-European roots.