- The definition of an ass is a horse like animal with a small build and long ears such as a donkey.
Eeyore on Winnie the Pooh is an example of an ass.
- An ass is a word used to describe someone that is stupid, foolish or behaving badly, often considered a curse word or swear word.
An example of an ass is a person who is heckling a comedian at a performance.
- An ass is defined as a slang word used to describe a person's buttocks.
An example of an ass is the part of your body that you sit on.
A jackass, ass, or donkey.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any of a number of horselike perissodactylous mammals (family Equidae) having long ears and a short mane, esp. the common wild ass (Equus asinus) of Africa: donkeys and burros are domesticated asses: in fables the ass is represented as obstinate and stupid
- a stupid or silly person; fool
Origin: Middle English asse ; from Old English assa, assen: probably ; from Old Irish assan or Welsh asyn, both ; from Classical Latin asinus
Origin: variant, variety of arse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ass·es
- Any of several hoofed mammals of the genus Equus, resembling and closely related to the horses but having a smaller build and longer ears, and including the domesticated donkey.
- A vain, self-important, silly, or aggressively stupid person.
Origin: Middle English asse, from Old English assa, perhaps of Celtic origin, ultimately from Latin asinus.
noun pl. ass·es Vulgar Slang
- a. The buttocks.b. The anus.
- Sexual intercourse.
Origin: Middle English ars, from Old English ears; see ors- in Indo-European roots.