- Another is defined as an additional amount.
An example of another is getting one more piece of candy from a jar.
- Another means someone or something that is not the same.
An example of another is asking to get a different pen if yours is not working.
- Another refers to someone of something that is comparable or alike.
An example of another is referring to a new movie that is similar to one already produced.
- The definition of another is one more of a person, place or thing.
An example of another is to state that you would like one more piece pie.
- Another refers to something that is dissimilar.
An example of another is to say that when you are running errands you are going to this store and that store.
- Another can refer to doubling something.
An example of another is to say that you would like one scoop of vanilla ice cream and then a second of the same.
another definition by Webster's New World
- one more; an additional: have another cup of tea
- a different; not the same: in another city, at another time
- one of the same sort as; some other: another Caesar
Origin: Middle English an other; Old English uses solid ōther in same sense
- one additional
- a different one: anger is one thing, but rage is another
- one of the same kind
another definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One more; an additional: had another cup of coffee.
- Distinctly different from the first: took another route to town.
- Some other: put it off to another day.
- An additional one: one encore followed by another.
- A different one: This shirt is too big; I'll try another.
- One of an undetermined number or group: for one reason or another. See Usage Note at each other.
Origin: Middle English on other : on, one; see one + other, other; see other.