- An example of an alias is when a person goes into the Witness Protection Program, and they have to assume a new identity with a new name so no one can find them.
- An example of alias is when one refers to the Dark Knight, or otherwise known as Batman.
Origin of aliasL, at another time from alius, other: see else
- An assumed name: The swindler worked under various aliases.
- Computers An alternate name or address, especially an email address that forwards incoming email to another address.
- Electronics A false signal in telecommunication links from beats between signal frequency and sampling frequency.
Origin of aliasLatin aliās otherwise, at another time from feminine accusative pl. of alius other ; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.
- Another name; an assumed name.
- (law) A second or further writ which is issued after a first writ has expired without effect.
- (online gaming) An abbreviation that replaces a string of in-game commands and thereby reduces typing when performing routine actions or tasks.
- (signal processing) An spurious signal generated as a technological artifact.
(third-person singular simple present aliases, present participle aliasing, simple past and past participle aliased)
From Latin alias (“at another time; in post-Augustan period, at another time or place, elsewhere, under other circumstances, otherwise”), feminine accusative plural of alius (“other”). See else and alien.
alias - Computer Definition
(2) In the Mac, an alias is an icon that points to a program or data file. Aliases can be placed on the desktop or stored in other folders, and double clicking the alias is the same as double clicking the original file's icon. However, deleting an alias does not remove the original file. A "shortcut" is the Windows counterpart (see shortcut).
(3) In Unix/Linux, an alias is a command that points to another command. It is typically used to abbreviate complex commands that are used repeatedly. Unless saved, aliases last only for the current session.
(4) A phony signal created under certain conditions when digitizing voice.
alias - Legal Definition
- An assumed or additional name used by a person, frequently to conceal her true identity, or such a name applied to a person by others. See also known as.
- An alias writ.