- the lowest line of the earnings report of a company, on which net profit per share of stock is shown
- Informal profits or losses, as of a business
- the basic or most important factor, consideration, meaning, etc.
- the final or ultimate statement, decision, etc.
- The last line on a balance sheet showing profit and loss is an example of the bottom line.
- The final rule you come up with after summarizing all the reasons for it is an example of the bottom line.
- The line in a financial statement that shows net income or loss.
- Financial matters, especially profit or loss.
- The final result or statement; upshot: “The bottom line, however, is that he has escaped” ( David Wise )
- The main or essential point: “A lot can happen between now and December, but the bottom line—for now—is that the city is still heading toward default” ( New York )
- Concerned exclusively with costs and profits: bottom-line issues.
- Ruthlessly realistic; pragmatic: a bottom-line political strategy.
(countable and uncountable, plural bottom lines)
- (accounting) The final balance; the amount of money or profit left after everything has been tallied.
- (idiomatic, uncountable) The summary or result; the most important information; the upshot; the net-net.
- The bottom line is that there simply are not enough hours in the day to finish all there is to do.
When somebody talks about increasing the bottom line, it means doing things to either increase the revenue or decrease expenses so the net income increases.
A reference to the literal bottom line of an income statement or other accounting record.
bottom line - Investment & Finance Definition
Another way of saying net income. It draws its name from the fact that net income is the bottom line on an income statement.
- Union officials predict strikes could end the standoff that could result from this problem, but with cheaper labor in other countries, bottom-line prices may have the final word.
- Bottom-line: If you have a separate room absent of non-work related items, such as a bed and TV, and live alone, the home office deduction is rather straightforward.
- PriceGrabber: Bottom-line (shipping and taxes included) prices, ease-of-use.