last wordlast word
- the final word or speech, regarded as settling the argument
- final authority
- something regarded as perfect or definitive
- Informal the very latest style
- The final statement in a verbal argument.
- a. A conclusive or authoritative statement or treatment: The report was considered to be the last word on the hazards of smoking.b. Power or authority of ultimate decision: The treasurer has the last word in all financial matters.
- Informal The newest or most fashionable example of its kind; the latest thing: a food processor that is the last word in kitchen equipment.
(plural last words)
- (idiomatic, often preceded by "the" and followed by "in") The finest, highest, or ultimate representative of some class of objects.
- (idiomatic) Concluding remarks or comments
- (in the plural) the final statement uttered by a person before death.
- (idiomatic) A final decision, or the right to make such a decision.