- The definition of chic is a person who is stylish or adopts current fashion trends.
An example of chic is someone who fashions their clothing style from Vogue magazine.
chic definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French origin, originally , subtlety ; from Middle Low German schick, order, skill or Middle High German schicken, behavior, arrangement
chic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective chic·er, chic·est
- Conforming to the current fashion; stylish: chic clothes; a chic boutique.
- Adopting or setting current fashions and styles; sophisticated: chic, well-dressed young executives. See Synonyms at fashionable.
- The quality or state of being stylish; fashionableness.
- Sophistication in dress and manner; elegance.
Origin: French, probably from German Schick, skill, fitness, elegance, from Middle High German (sich) schicken, to outfit (oneself), fit in.
- chicˈly adverb
- chicˈness noun