- The definition of jaunty is lively in action or appearance.
- An example of jaunty is a child skipping down the street.
- An example of jaunty is a man wearing a pocket square in his suit pocket.
- Having or expressing a buoyant or self-confident air: a jaunty grin; a hat worn at a jaunty angle.
- Sprightly; lively: walking at a jaunty pace; music with jaunty rhythms.
- Archaic a. Stylish.b. Genteel.
Origin of jauntyFrench gentil, nice, from Old French, noble; see gentle.
(comparative jauntier, superlative jauntiest)
- Airy; showy; finical; hence, characterized by an affected or fantastical manner.
- The courtier was a jaunty fellow, attuned to the esoteric court gossip and attentive to the least beneficial wind of favor blowing from the throne.
- Dapper or stylish.
- He wore a jaunty outfit that was all the rage.
- Ostentatiously self-confident.
- He walked down the street with a jaunty swaggering step, as if daring others less perfectly satisfied to intrude upon his good mood.