- any of a breed of domestic chicken developed in the U.S. from Asian stock, having black or mottled black plumage
- ⌂ a kind of coffee grown on Java and nearby islands
- ⌂ Slang coffee
Origin of javaAfter Java1.
(countable and uncountable, plural javas)
- A blend of coffee imported from the island of Java.
- (US, colloquial) Coffee in general.
- A dance popular in France in the early 20th century
From Java, an island on and near which a particular blend of coffee is made. The US use of the term to refer to any coffee originated in San Francisco, an early center of the US coffee trade.
- A chicken of the Java breed which was developed in the United States.
Possibly from Sanskrit यव-द्वीप (yava-dvīpa, “island of barley”). Used in reference to coffee grown on Java and nearby islands since at least 1850.
java - Computer Definition