a quick bread made with eggs, baked in a small cup-shaped mold
Origin of muffin; from dialect, dialectal mouffin, moufin, uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to Old French moufflet, soft, as in pain moufflet, soft bread
- A small, cup-shaped quick bread, often sweetened.
- An English muffin.
Origin of muffinPossibly from Low German Muffen, pl. of Muffe, small cake, from Middle Low German.
- (UK) a type of flattish bun, usually cut in two horizontally, toasted and spread with butter, etc, before being eaten
- (especially US) A type of rich individual cake containing chocolate chips, blueberries or some other flavouring.
- (computing) a mechanism used in the Java Network Launching Protocol analogous to the cookie mechanism and which permits a program running in a browser to perform operations on a client machine
- (slang) a term of endearment
- (sexual slang) a vulva
- (baseball, slang) a less talented player; one who muffs, or drops the ball
- (slang) a charming, attractive young man
The origin is unknown.