- any of a breed of domestic chicken developed in the U.S. from Asian stock, having black or mottled black plumage
- a kind of coffee grown on Java and nearby islands
- [j-]Slang coffee
Origin of javaAfter Java 1
(countable and uncountable, plural javas)
- A blend of coffee imported from the island of Java.
- (US, colloquial) Coffee in general.
- A dance popular in France in the early 20th century
From Java, an island on and near which a particular blend of coffee is made. The US use of the term to refer to any coffee originated in San Francisco, an early center of the US coffee trade.
- A chicken of the Java breed which was developed in the United States.
Possibly from Sanskrit यव-द्वीप (yava-dvīpa, “island of barley”). Used in reference to coffee grown on Java and nearby islands since at least 1850.
java - Computer Definition
- During the same year in which De Torres sailed through the strait destined to make him famous, a little Dutch vessel called the " Duyfken," or " Dove," set sail from Bantam, in Java, on a voyage of discovery.
- The two which drain the largest basin are the Chi Manuk and the Chi Tarum, both rising in the eastern end of the province and flowing northeast and north-west respectively to the Java Sea.
- America), the four-day week of the Chibchas, the five-day week of Persia, Malaysia, Java, Celebes, New Guinea and Mexico; in ancient Scandinavia a five-day period was in use, but markets were probably unknown.
- Perry commanded the "Java" in the Mediterranean expedition of 1815-1816, and he died at Port of Spain in Trinidad on the 23rd of August 1819, of yellow fever contracted on the coast of Brazil.
- He was in the Persian Gulf, India and Java, and resided for more than two years in Japan, of which he wrote a history.