- The definition of debonair is an elegant, gracious and carefree in manner.
An example of a debonair person was Cary Grant.
This man could be described as debonair.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Archaic pleasant and friendly in a cheerful way; genial
- easy and carefree in manner; jaunty; sprightly
- elegant and gracious; urbane
Origin: Middle English debonaire ; from Old French ; from de bon aire, literally , of good breed or race: see aerie
- debonairly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Suave; urbane.
- Affable; genial.
- Carefree and gay; jaunty.
Origin: Middle English debonaire, gracious, kindly, from Old French, from de bon aire, of good lineage or disposition : de, of (from Latin dē; see de-) + bon, bonne, good (from Latin bonus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots) + aire, nest, family; see aerie.
- debˌo·nairˈly adverb
- debˌo·nairˈness noun