- The definition of chipper is a joyful person.
An example of chipper is a person cheerfully walking into work with a big smile on their face.
- A chipper is defined as a person or thing that cuts or chops things.
An example of a chipper is a machine that turns tree trunks and branches into sawdust.
Origin of chipperaltered from northern British kipper; uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to Dutch kipp, quick, lively
Origin of chipperPossibly alteration of British dialectal kipper lively
(comparative more chipper, superlative most chipper)
- (UK, Ireland, slang) A fish and chips shop, or more generally a cheap fast food outlet, typically selling chips and other deep-fried foods.
- (slang) A deep frier.
- (US) A machine that reduces organic matter to compost; depending on size, whole tree trunks are reduced to sawdust; a woodchipper.
- (US) (smoking) An occasional tobacco user, or more generally drug user.
- A machine that chips potatoes ready to be fried and made into chips.
- Someone who chips (e.g. wood)
- A sportsman who chips the ball.
(third-person singular simple present chippers, present participle chippering, simple past and past participle chippered)