Moiety is a share or a part.
One of the groups into which people are divided in society is an example of a moiety.
- a half; either of two equal, or more or less equal, parts
- an indefinite share or part
- Anthrop. either of two primary subdivisions in some tribes
Origin of moietyMiddle English moite ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin medietas, the middle (in LL, half, moiety) ; from medius: see mid
- A half.
- A part, portion, or share.
- Anthropology Either of two kinship groups based on unilateral descent that together make up a tribe or society.
- Chemistry A well-defined part of a larger molecule.
Origin of moietyMiddle English moite, from Old French meitiet, moitie, from Late Latin medietas, from Latin, middle, from medius, middle; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots.
moiety - Legal Definition
A portion of something, typically half.