The definition of righteous is someone or something that is in accordance with high moral standards.adjective
When you follow all the rules and do good with your life, this is an example of behavior that would be described as righteous.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- acting in a just, upright manner; doing what is right; virtuous: a righteous man
- morally right; fair and just: a righteous act
- morally justifiable: full of righteous anger
- ☆ Slang good, excellent, satisfying, pleasant, authentic, etc.
Origin: altered, by analogy with adjs. in -eous < ME rihtwis < OE: see right & -wise
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Morally upright; without guilt or sin: a righteous parishioner.
- In accordance with virtue or morality: a righteous judgment.
- Morally justifiable: righteous anger. See Synonyms at moral.
Origin: Middle English ryghtuous, alteration of rihtwise, from Old English rihtwīs : riht, right; see Right + -wīse, -wise.
- rightˈeous·ly adverb
- rightˈeous·ness noun