- The definition of righteous is someone or something that is in accordance with high moral standards.
When you follow all the rules and do good with your life, this is an example of behavior that would be described as righteous.
righteous definition by Webster's New World
- acting in a just, upright manner; doing what is right; virtuous: a righteous man
- morally right; fair and just: a righteous act
- morally justifiable: full of righteous anger
- ☆ Slang good, excellent, satisfying, pleasant, authentic, etc.
Origin: altered, by analogy with adjs. in -eous ; from Middle English rihtwis ; from OE: see right and amp; -wise
righteous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Morally upright; without guilt or sin: a righteous parishioner.
- In accordance with virtue or morality: a righteous judgment.
- Morally justifiable: righteous anger. See Synonyms at moral.
Origin: Middle English ryghtuous, alteration of rihtwise, from Old English rihtwīs : riht, right; see Right + -wīse, -wise.
- rightˈeous·ly adverb
- rightˈeous·ness noun