- The definition of unfair is something that is not in accordance with justice or that is not kind or impartial.
When an inadequate and ineffective worker gets promoted instead of you because he happens to be a friend of the boss, this is an example of something that would be described as unfair.
- not just or impartial; biased; inequitable
- dishonest, dishonorable, or unethical in business dealings
Origin of unfairMiddle English ; from Old English unfæger, unfair, ugly ; from un-, not + fæger, fair
- Contrary to justice or a sense of fairness: It was unfair to extend the deadline for some students but not others.
- Contrary to laws or conventions, especially in commerce; unethical: unfair dealing.
- Not kind or considerate: It was unfair of me to laugh when he felt so sad.
(comparative unfairer, superlative unfairest)
un- +â€Ž fair