- The definition of unfair is something that is not in accordance with justice or that is not kind or impartial.
When an inadequate and ineffective worker gets promoted instead of you because he happens to be a friend of the boss, this is an example of something that would be described as unfair.
unfair definition by Webster's New World
- not just or impartial; biased; inequitable
- dishonest, dishonorable, or unethical in business dealings
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English unfæger, unfair, ugly ; from un-, not plush fæger, fair
unfair definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective un·fair·er, un·fair·est
- Not just or evenhanded; biased: an unfair call by an umpire.
- Contrary to laws or conventions, especially in commerce; unethical: unfair trading.
- un·fairˈly adverb
- un·fairˈness noun