- having or showing religious devotion; zealous in the performance of religious obligations
- springing from actual or pretended religious devotion or moral motives
- seemingly virtuous; affecting virtue hypocritically
- sacred, as distinguished from secular or profane
- Archaic having or showing a sense of duty and loyalty to family, friends, etc.
Origin of piousClassical Latin pius, pious, devout, affectionate, good, probably from Indo-European an unverified form pw?yos from base an unverified form peu-, to clean from source Classical Latin purus, pure