- The definition of devout is dedicated to religion or sincere.
An example of devout is a Catholic who has unending faith in God, attends Mass every Sunday and follows all of the practices.
A devout woman praying.
- very religious; pious
- showing reverence
- earnest; sincere; heartfelt
Origin of devoutMiddle English ; from Old French devot ; from Classical Latin devotus, devoted (in Ecclesiastical Late Latin devout): see devote
- a. Devoted to a religion or to the fulfillment of religious obligations: a devout Catholic.b. Characterized by religious devotion or piety: devout observance of the holy days.
- a. Fervently believing in or advocating an ideology or position: a devout socialist.b. Fervent or earnest: devout wishes for their success.
Origin of devoutMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin dēvōtus, past participle of dēvovēre, to vow; see devote.
(comparative devouter or more devout, superlative devoutest or most devout)
- (obsolete) A devotee.
- (obsolete) A devotional composition, or part of a composition; devotion.
From Old French devot (French dévot)