- The definition of devout is dedicated to religion or sincere.
An example of devout is a Catholic who has unending faith in God, attends Mass every Sunday and follows all of the practices.
A devout woman praying.
devout definition by Webster's New World
- very religious; pious
- showing reverence
- earnest; sincere; heartfelt
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French devot ; from Classical Latin devotus, devoted (in Ecclesiastical Late Latin devout): see devote
devout definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective de·vout·er, de·vout·est
- Devoted to religion or to the fulfillment of religious obligations. See Synonyms at religious.
- Displaying reverence or piety.
- Sincere; earnest: devout wishes for their success.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin dēvōtus, past participle of dēvovēre, to vow; see devote.
- de·voutˈly adverb
- de·voutˈness noun