- The definition of hearty is something that is substantial, unrestrained or something that is expressed warmly.
- A delicious stew full of vegetables is an example of a hearty vegetable stew.
- When you laugh with true delight at something, this is an example of a hearty laugh.
- When you congratulate someone and mean it, this is an example of hearty congratulations.
- extremely warm and friendly; most genial or cordial: a hearty welcome
- enthusiastic; wholehearted: hearty cooperation
- strongly felt or expressed; unrestrained: a hearty dislike, hearty laughter
- strong and healthy: a hearty young farmer
- satisfying, nourishing, and plentiful: a hearty meal
- needing or liking plenty of food: a hearty eater
Origin of heartyMiddle English herti: see heart and amp; -y
a friend; comrade; esp., a fellow sailor: usually preceded by my
- Expressed warmly, exuberantly, and unrestrainedly: a hearty welcome.
- Complete or thorough; unequivocal: hearty support.
- Vigorous; robust: a hearty glow of health.
- a. Enjoying or requiring much food: a hearty appetite.b. Providing abundant nourishment; substantial: a hearty meal.
- A good fellow; a comrade.
- A sailor.
(comparative heartier, superlative heartiest)
- Pertaining to, or proceeding from, the heart; warm; cordial; bold; zealous; sincere; willing; also, energetic; active; eager.
- a hearty welcome; hearty in supporting the government.
- Exhibiting strength; sound; healthy; firm; not weak.
- a hearty handshake; a hearty timber
- Promoting strength; nourishing; rich; abundant.
- hearty food; a hearty meal
- (obsolete or humorous nautical) a term of familiar address and fellowship among sailors.