- The definition of hearty is something that is substantial, unrestrained or something that is expressed warmly.
- A delicious stew full of vegetables is an example of a hearty vegetable stew.
- When you laugh with true delight at something, this is an example of a hearty laugh.
- When you congratulate someone and mean it, this is an example of hearty congratulations.
- extremely warm and friendly; most genial or cordial: a hearty welcome
- enthusiastic; wholehearted: hearty cooperation
- strongly felt or expressed; unrestrained: a hearty dislike, hearty laughter
- strong and healthy: a hearty young farmer
- satisfying, nourishing, and plentiful: a hearty meal
- needing or liking plenty of food: a hearty eater
Origin: Middle English herti: see heart and amp; -y
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective heart·i·er, heart·i·est
- Expressed warmly, exuberantly, and unrestrainedly: a hearty welcome.
- Complete or thorough; unequivocal: hearty support.
- Vigorous; robust: a hearty glow of health.
- a. Enjoying or requiring much food: a hearty appetite.b. Providing abundant nourishment; substantial: a hearty meal.
- A good fellow; a comrade.
- A sailor.
- heartˈi·ness noun