- The definition of funky is something that smells bad or it is something artistic, modern, unconventional or cool.
- Old smelly socks are an example of something that would be described as funky.
- The cool, hip apartment of a young artist is an example of something that would be described as funky.
- Dialectal smelly; musty
- ☆ Jazz having an earthy quality or style derived from early blues or gospel music
- of or characteristic of funk (sense )
- Slang old-fashioned or quaint
- Slang unconventional, eccentric, offbeat, etc.
- Slang very emotional
- Slang informal, relaxed, casual, etc.
Origin of funkyorigin, originally black slang, literally , smelly, hence musty, earthy ; from obsolete funk, smell, smoke, probably ; from French dialect, dialectal funkier, to smoke ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form fumicare, for Classical Latin fumigare: see fumigate
Origin of funkyFrom funk3.
- a. Having a moldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.b. Having a strong, unpleasant odor, especially the odor of the unwashed human body: a funky locker room.
- Music a. Having a style reminiscent of simple blues; bluesy.b. Of or relating to funk music.
- Slang a. Hearty and simple: “At the opposite end of Dallas's culinary spectrum is funky regional fare” (Jacqueline Friedrich).b. Having an unsophisticated or old-fashioned charm; quaint or unpretentious: a funky beach town.c. Unconventional or eccentric; offbeat or odd: “a bizarre, funky [hotel] dressed up as a ship, with mock portholes and mirrored ceilings over the beds” (Ann Louise Bardach).
Origin of funkyfunk1 + –y1.
(comparative funkier or more funky, superlative funkiest or most funky)
- (US, slang) offbeat, unconventional or eccentric.
- (US, slang) Not quite right; of questionable quality; not appropriate to the context.
- (slang, UK, US) cool; great; excellent
- Having or relating to the smell of funk.
- (music) relating to or reminiscent of various genres of African American music.
- (UK, slang, dated) Relating to, or characterized by, great fear, or funking.
funk + -y