- Old smelly socks are an example of something that would be described as funky.
- The cool, hip apartment of a young artist is an example of something that would be described as funky.
The definition of funky is something that smells bad or it is something artistic, modern, unconventional or cool.
- Dial. smelly; musty
- Jazz having an earthy quality or style derived from early blues or gospel music
- of or characteristic of funk (sense )
- Slang unconventional, offbeat, etc.
- Slang emotional or soulful
Origin of funkyorigin, originally black slang, literally , smelly, hence musty, earthy from obsolete funk, smell, smoke, probably from French dialect, dialectal funkier, to smoke from Vulgar Latin an unverified form fumicare, for Classical Latin fumigare: see fumigate
Origin of funkyFrom funk 3
- a. Having a moldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.b. Having a strong, unpleasant odor, especially the odor of the unwashed human body: a funky locker room.
- Music a. Having a style reminiscent of simple blues; bluesy.b. Of or relating to funk music.
- Slang a. Hearty and simple: “At the opposite end of Dallas's culinary spectrum is funky regional fare” ( Jacqueline Friedrich )b. Having an unsophisticated or old-fashioned charm; quaint or unpretentious: a funky beach town.c. Unconventional or eccentric; offbeat or odd: “a bizarre, funky [hotel] dressed up as a ship, with mock portholes and mirrored ceilings over the beds” ( Ann Louise Bardach )
Origin of funkyfunk 1 -y 1
(comparative funkier or more funky, superlative funkiest or most funky)
- (US, slang) offbeat, unconventional or eccentric.
- (US, slang) Not quite right; of questionable quality; not appropriate to the context.
- (slang, UK, US) cool; great; excellent
- Having or relating to the smell of funk.
- (music) relating to or reminiscent of various genres of African American music.
- (UK, slang, dated) Relating to, or characterized by, great fear, or funking.
funk + -y