- The definition of noisome is harmful, or bad smelling.
- An example of something noisome is a gas that is coming from a toxic waste dump; noisome gas.
- An example of a noisome smell is the smell of a disgusting trash can.
- injurious to health; harmful
- having a bad odor; foul-smelling
Origin: Middle English noyesum from noy, aphetic from anoy from Old French anoi: see annoy and amp; -some
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Offensive to the point of arousing disgust; foul: a noisome odor.
- Harmful or dangerous: noisome fumes.
Origin: Middle English noiesom : noie, harm (short for anoi, annoyance, from Old French, from anoier, to annoy; see annoy) + -som, adj. suff.; see -some1.
- noiˈsome·ly adverb
- noiˈsome·ness noun