A noisome trash pile.
- An example of something noisome is a gas that is coming from a toxic waste dump; noisome gas.
- An example of a noisome smell is the smell of a disgusting trash can.
The definition of noisome is harmful, or bad smelling.
- injurious to health; harmful
- having a bad odor; foul-smelling
Origin of noisomeMiddle English noyesum ; from noy, aphetic ; from anoy ; from Old French anoi: see annoy and amp; -some
- Offensive to the point of arousing disgust; foul: a noisome odor.
- Harmful or dangerous: noisome fumes.
Origin of noisomeMiddle English noiesom : noie, harm (short for anoi, annoyance, from Old French, from anoier, to annoy; see annoy) + -som, adj. suff.; see –some1.
(comparative more noisome, superlative most noisome)