having an unpleasant smell
adjectivesmell·i·er, smell·i·est Informal
Having a noticeable, usually unpleasant or offensive odor.
(comparative smellier, superlative smelliest)
- Having a bad smell.
- She was hesitant to remove her shoes, as her socks were rather smelly.
- (figuratively) having a quality that arouses suspicion.
- The detective read the documents and thought, "Something sure is smelly about this case".
- (figuratively, computing, slang, in extreme programming) Of inferior quality.
- That smelly code needs to be refactored.