- The definition of impious is someone or something that shows a lack of respect.
Spitting in holy water is an example of something that would be described as an impious action.
- lacking reverence for God
- lacking respect or dutifulness, as toward a parent
Origin of impiousClassical Latin impius
- Lacking reverence; not pious.
- Lacking due respect or dutifulness: impious toward one's parents.
Origin of impiousFrom Latin impius : in-, not; see in–1 + pius, dutiful.
(comparative more impious, superlative most impious)
From Latin impius.