- The definition of impious is someone or something that shows a lack of respect.
Spitting in holy water is an example of something that would be described as an impious action.
impious definition by Webster's New World
- lacking reverence for God
- lacking respect or dutifulness, as toward a parent
Origin: Classical Latin impius
impious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lacking reverence; not pious.
- Lacking due respect or dutifulness: impious toward one's parents.
Origin: From Latin impius : in-, not; see in-1 + pius, dutiful.
- imˈpi·ous·ly adverb
- imˈpi·ous·ness noun