- An example of guilty is a person who feels bad he stole a car.
- An example of guilty is a description for a person who was responsible for stealing a car.
The definition of guilty is feeling bad about something you have done, or is someone who committed and was proved responsible for a crime or wrongdoing.
- having guilt; deserving blame or punishment; culpable
- having one's guilt proved; legally judged an offender
- showing or conscious of guilt: a guilty look
- of or involving guilt or a sense of guilt: a guilty conscience
Origin of guiltyMiddle English gilti ; from Old English gyltig
- a. Responsible for a reprehensible act; culpable.b. Law Found to have violated a criminal law by a jury or judge.c. Deserving blame, as for an error: guilty of misjudgment.
- Suffering from or prompted by a sense of guilt: a guilty conscience.
- Suggesting or entailing guilt: a guilty smirk; a guilty secret.
(comparative guiltier, superlative guiltiest)
- guilty as sin
guilty - Legal Definition
The state of being deemed responsible for the commission of a crime, either as a result of a plea or the adjudication of a judge or jury.