gudgeon definition by Webster's New World
- any of a genus (Gobio) of small, European, freshwater cyprinoid fishes that are easily caught and used for bait
- any of various other fishes, as a goby or killifish
Origin: Middle English gogeon ; from Old French goujon ; from Classical Latin gobio ; from Classical Greek kōbios
- a metal pin or shaft at the end of an axle, on which a wheel turns
- the socket of a hinge, into which the pin is fitted
- the part of a shaft that revolves in a bearing
Origin: Middle English gogoun ; from Old French gojon, pivot
gudgeon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A small Eurasian freshwater fish (Gobio gobio) related to the carp and used for bait.b. Any of various similar or related fishes.
- Slang One who is easily duped.
Origin: Middle English gojoun, from Old French goujon, from Latin gōbiō, gōbiōn-, variant of gōbius; see goby .
- A metal pivot or journal at the end of a shaft or an axle, around which a wheel or other device turns.
- The socket of a hinge into which a pin fits.
- A metal pin that joins two pieces of stone.
- Nautical The socket for the pintle of a rudder.
Origin: Middle English gudyon, from Old French gojon, peg, diminutive of goi, gouge, from Vulgar Latin *gubius, variant of Late Latin gubia; see gouge.