advancement[ad vans′mənt, əd-]
- A promotion at work is an example of an advancement.
- The Internet's effect on the speed of communication is an example of advancement.
The definition of advancement is a forward movement or improvement.
- an advancing or being advanced
- promotion, as to a higher rank
- progress or improvement; furtherance
- Law money or property given as an advance share in the estate of a person who later dies without making a will: it is deducted from the total share of the recipient in the intestate's estate
- A forward step; an improvement.
- Development; progress: the advancement of knowledge.
- A promotion, as in rank.
- The act of moving forward. See Usage Note at advance.
- The act of advancing, or the state of being advanced; progression; improvement; furtherance; promotion to a higher place or dignity; as, the advancement of learning.
- An advance of money or value; payment in advance.
- (law) Property given, usually by a parent to a child, in advance of a future distribution.
Middle English avancement, Old French avancement. See advance.