- forward motion
- progress or success in work, etc.
- ⌂ the difference in time or distance between two trains, ships, etc. traveling in the same direction over the same course
- Forward movement or the rate of forward movement, especially of a ship.
- Progress toward a goal.
- The clear vertical space beneath a ceiling or archway; clearance.
- The distance in time or space that separates two vehicles traveling the same route.
(countable and uncountable, plural headways)
- Movement ahead or forward.
- (nautical) Forward motion, or its rate.
- (countable, transport) The interval of time or distance between the fronts of two vehicles (e.g. buses) moving in succession in the same direction, especially along the same pre-determined route.
- (uncountable, figuratively) Progress toward a goal.
- (countable) The clearance beneath an object, such as an arch, ceiling or bridge; headroom.
- (coal-mining) A cross-heading.
Partly from Middle English headway, from Old English hēafodweġ (“head-road, main-road”), equivalent to head- + way; partly as a shortening of ahead-way, the source of the nautical sense.