headway definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- forward motion
- progress or success in work, etc.
- ☆ the difference in time or distance between two trains, ships, etc. traveling in the same direction over the same course
headway definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Forward movement or the rate of forward movement, especially of a ship.
- Progress toward a goal.
- The clear vertical space beneath a ceiling or archway; clearance.
- The distance in time or space that separates two vehicles traveling the same route.
headway - Phrases/Idioms
see make headway.