- Present participle of prefer.
Variant of prefer
transitive verbpreferred, preferring
- to put before someone else in rank, office, etc.; promote; advance
- to put before a magistrate, administrator, court, etc. for consideration, sanction, or redress: to prefer charges against an attacker
- to put before something or someone else in one's liking, opinion, etc.; like better
- to give preference or priority to (a creditor, etc.)
Origin of preferMiddle English preferren ; from Middle French preferer ; from Classical Latin praeferre, to place before ; from prae-, pre- + ferre, bear