- to bring or come to a high or higher position; raise or rise
- to make or become larger, greater, stronger, brighter, etc.; increase; intensify
Origin of heighten; from height + -en
verbheight·ened, height·en·ing, height·ens
- To raise or increase the quantity or degree of; intensify.
- To make high or higher; raise.
- To rise or increase in quantity or degree; intensify.
- To become high or higher; rise.
(third-person singular simple present heightens, present participle heightening, simple past and past participle heightened)
From height + -en.