- The definition of a drop off occurs when something or someone is left at a specific location.
An example of drop off is when ransom money is given to a kidnapper at a certain time at a certain park bench.
- To drop off is to take something or someone to a specific destination and leave it there, not usually lingering or staying around.
An example of drop off is when a mother takes her son to soccer practice and then leaves to run errands.
- a very steep drop
- a decline or decrease, as in sales, prices, etc.
Origin of drop-offsee drop () a location where a person or thing can be dropped off: a drop-off for rental cars
- A steep or abrupt downward slope.
- A noticeable decrease: a drop-off in attendance.
- A designated place where people or things can be left: “distributed 12,000 newspapers to eighty different drop-offs” (Edward Klein).
- Alternative form of drop-off.