transitive verb-·fied·, -·fy·ing
- to make strong or stronger; strengthen physically, emotionally, etc.
- to strengthen against attack, as by building or furnishing with forts, walls, etc.
- to support; corroborate: to fortify an argument with statistics
- to strengthen (wine, etc.) by adding alcohol
- to add vitamins, minerals, etc. to (milk, etc.) so as to increase the nutritional value; enrich
Origin of fortifyMiddle English fortifien from Old French fortifier from Late Latin fortificare from Classical Latin fortis, strong (see fort) + facere, to make, do