Cathedral in Durham.
Origin of Durhamsee Durham: after the county, where origin, originally bred
- county in N England, on the North Sea: 938 sq mi (2,429 sq km); pop. 593,000
- its county seat, on the Wear: county district pop. 89,000
- city in north central N.C.: pop. 187,000
- A city of northeast England south of Newcastle. It is noted for its cathedral and castle, built by the Normans in the 1100s.
- A city of north-central North Carolina near Raleigh and Chapel Hill. Settled c. 1750, it is the seat of Duke University (founded 1838).
Origin of DurhamAfter Durham, a county of northern England.