An example of something in the shape of a triangle is a piece of pizza.
- a geometric figure having three angles and three sides
- any three-sided or three-cornered figure, area, object, part, etc.
- a right-angled, flat, triangular instrument used in drawing geometric figures
- a situation involving three persons, esp. when one person is having love affairs with two others
- a musical percussion instrument consisting of a steel rod bent into a triangle with one angle open: it produces a high-pitched, tinkling sound when struck with a short steel rod
Origin of triangleMiddle English from Middle French from Classical Latin triangulum: see tri- and angle
- a. The plane figure formed by connecting three points not in a straight line by straight line segments; a three-sided polygon.b. Something shaped like such a figure: a triangle of land.
- Any of various flat, three-sided drawing and drafting guides, used especially to draw straight lines at specific angles.
- Music A percussion instrument consisting of a piece of metal in the shape of a triangle open at one angle.
- A relationship involving three people, especially a ménage à trois.
Origin of triangleMiddle English from Old French from Latin triangulum from neuter of triangulus three-angled tri- tri- angulus angle
top: right triangle
bottom: equilateral triangle
- (geometry) A polygon with three sides and three angles.
- (music) A percussion instrument made by forming a metal rod into a triangular shape which is open at one angle. It is suspended from a string and hit with a metal bar to make a resonant sound.
- (cue sports) A triangular shaped piece of equipment used for gathering the balls into the formation required by the game being played.
- A love triangle.
- (systemics) The structure of systems composed with three interrelated objects.
From Old French triangle.
triangle - Computer Definition
A three-sided polygon. In 3D graphics, the surfaces of 3D objects are broken down into triangles. Small numbers of triangles are used for flat surfaces, while large numbers are used to mold curved surfaces similar to the way a geodesic dome is constructed. The three points of every triangle (vertices) are computed on an X-Y-Z scale and must be recomputed each time the object is moved. See triangle setup and geometry calculations.
triangle - Investment & Finance Definition
A technical chart pattern in which the price range becomes increasingly narrow over time with lower daily prices or higher daily prices. An ascending triangle occurs when the highest prices on the chart pattern rise more while a descending triangle occurs when the lowest prices on the bottom of the chart pattern increase more.