- The definition of cattle means a group of cows or other livestock.
The herd of cows in the field is an example of cattle.
Cattle grazing in a green pasture.
cattle definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic farm animals collectively; livestock
- domesticated oxen collectively; esp., cows, bulls, and steers
- people in the mass: a contemptuous term
Origin: Middle English and amp; Anglo-French catel (OFr chatel) ; from Midieval Latin captale, property, stock ; from Classical Latin capitalis, principal, chief ; from caput, head: origin, originally sense in variant, variety chattel
cattle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various chiefly domesticated mammals of the genus Bos, including cows, steers, bulls, and oxen, often raised for meat and dairy products.
- Humans, especially when viewed contemptuously or as a mob.
Origin: Middle English catel, property, livestock, from Old North French, from Old Provençal capdal, from Medieval Latin capitāle, holdings, funds, from neuter of Latin capitālis, principal, original, from caput, head; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.