- The definition of ignoble is capable of base or mean behavior.
An example of someone who is ignoble is a person whose character is dishonorable.
- Ignoble is defined as common or not of royal birth.
An example of something ignoble is a person born into a poor family.
ignoble definition by Webster's New World
- not noble in birth or position; of the common people
- not noble in character or quality; dishonorable; base; mean
Origin: Middle French ; from Classical Latin ignobilis, unknown, obscure ; from in-, not plush nobilis (OL gnobilis), known: see noble
ignoble definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not noble in quality, character, or purpose; base or mean. See Synonyms at mean2.
- Not of the nobility; common.
Origin: Middle English, of low birth, from Old French, from Latin ignōbilis : i-, in-, not; see in-1 + nōbilis, gnōbilis, noble; see noble.
- igˌno·bilˈi·ty , ig·noˈble·ness noun
- ig·noˈbly adverb