- The definition of ignoble is capable of base or mean behavior.
An example of someone who is ignoble is a person whose character is dishonorable.
- Ignoble is defined as common or not of royal birth.
An example of something ignoble is a person born into a poor family.
- not noble in birth or position; of the common people
- not noble in character or quality; dishonorable; base; mean
Origin of ignobleMiddle French from Classical Latin ignobilis, unknown, obscure from in-, not + nobilis (OL gnobilis), known: see noble
- Not noble in quality, character, or purpose; base or dishonorable. See Synonyms at base2.
- Not of high social status; common.
Origin of ignobleMiddle English of low birth from Old French from Latin ignōbilis i-, in- not ; see in- 1. nōbilis, gnōbilis noble ; see noble .
- ig′no·bil′i·ty ig·no′ble·ness
(comparative more ignoble, superlative most ignoble)
From Middle French ignoble, from Latin ignobilis, from in- (not) + gnobilis, later nobilis (noble)